Tuesday 25 March 2014

NIB, from the middle east

Whilst its shameful to give you a bullet point list; I have been:
creating relief sculpture of a helios on the wall of Ilan's mudhouse. he wants me to come back and make more!
decorating Mudi's apartment for his birthday party, using branches and mushroom trays with tealights in, hanging from the ceiling. dancing til 4am, the last one standing
printing my drawings and foliage onto t shirts i find in the street. modifying them on various sewing machines, wearing my art and getting praise for it. yellow and green ink all up my arms.
finally finishing the popper pants whose pieces ive been carrying around all this time! red and purple ones, lacey, but also bodged at the sides where i mucked up the pattern and had to extend with more velcro...'scotch' in hebrew.
endlessly trying to find a non-air route out of the country, including turning up at the port of Haifa in person
introducing Israelis to the delights of British cuisine, including cream tea and welsh rarebit
fixing up old sewing machines, weeding and mulching veg beds, bagging straw for horse feed, cooking for starving artist Burning Man organisers on a moshav north of Tel Aviv
going to Tehila's housewarming party and spilling lentil dhal all over the road
hitchhiking successfully with interesting drivers!
being invited to a million homes - the Israeli numbers on my mobile now outnumber all else
contact dance at weekend retreats in the north, classes in Katamon and randomly with strangers at 3am
feeling lonely, not myself and rejected. feeling revitalised with the vigour of spring! making floral wreath headdresses for a spring equinox celebration at an eco artists community and getting a bonfire going. falling down a deep hole wherein i lost my shoe, Jon Halls' sandals that have accompanied me for 6 months...now sadly interred. ill put up a gravestone. now i have some green converses! and an exciting scab on my knee.
getting drunk on my own building-site brewed ginger beer at Purim, and taking part in the most riotous street parties by night and day that ive ever seen - my favourite were the aquatic themed costumes, in particular the stingray! my costume was made from ironed together plastic bags, which laminate beautifully into a flexible yet stiff material, you can burn holes into it like lace or embed other flat objects between the layers...ooooh!
experimental fermentation with flowers of the desert hillside, and zaatar, and grapefruit tree leaves
planning an itinerary around the arab parts of the country, via couchsurfing. wanting to see the gorgeous landscapes on offer here, and hear arabic spoken. joining the Freedom Bus solidarity action near Bethlehem.
preparing for my natural building course in Venice in a months time, mostly redoing paperwork. and looking up places to build and farm in Italy and Slovenia. trying to meet up in Greece for Easter with my friend Si
pretending to have moved to Jerusalem, that im studying at Bezalel art college on Mt. Scopus. coming up with an original answer every time someone asks me "so what are you doing in Israel"...
eating shakshuka for breakfast. becoming a proficient dumpster diver.

photos soon.






3 comments:

  1. I just hope the plastic bag clothing looks better than it sounds, I wait for the photos with impatience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So no photographs of the re-used plastic bag clothes then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're doing amazing things Gem. Very jealous :) all the best - George

    ReplyDelete